Genome-Wide Association Analysis Uncovers Genes Associated with Resistance to Head Smut Pathotype 5 in Senegalese Sorghum Accessions. Academic Article uri icon


  • A newly documented pathotype 5 of the soil-borne fungus Sporisorium reilianum, causing head smut in sorghum, was tested against 153 unexplored Senegalese sorghum accessions. Among the 153 sorghum accessions tested, 63 (41%) exhibited complete resistance, showing no signs of infection by the fungus. The remaining 90 accessions (59%) displayed varying degrees of susceptibility. Sorghum responses against S. reilianum were explored to analyze the potential link with previously known seed morphology-related traits and new phenotype data from 59 lines for seed weight. A genome-wide association study (GWAS) screened 297,876 SNPs and identified highly significant associations (p < 1 10-5) with head smut resistance in sorghum. By mapping these significant SNPs to the reference genome, this study revealed 35 novel candidate defense genes potentially involved in disease resistance.

published proceedings

  • Plants (Basel)

author list (cited authors)

  • Ahn, E., Prom, L. K., Park, S., Hu, Z., & Magill, C. W.

complete list of authors

  • Ahn, Ezekiel||Prom, Louis K||Park, Sunchung||Hu, Zhenbin||Magill, Clint W

publication date

  • March 2024


published in