Optimization of Photovoltaic-Wind Hybrid System for Apartment Complexes and other Community Living Environments by Minimizing Excess Capacity Conference Paper uri icon


  • This paper presents an approach for the optimization of photovoltaic-wind hybrid systems with battery back-up to meet the load requirements. The proposed sizing methodology is based on 10 seconds insolation data rate instead of the more commonly used hourly data rate. When analyzed for an entire year, the higher resolution of data identifies excess PV and storage capacity when combined with wind turbine, which can be removed to optimize the system cost. The case study is done on a gird-tied apartment complex in college station, Texas to meet 50% of the load by optimized hybrid system. The methodology employs a techno-economic approach to determine the system that would guarantee a reliable energy supply with lowest investment. The obtained results demonstrate a cost effective and reliable hybrid system is that in which 95% of load is provided by photovoltaic panels and the other 5% by wind turbines. The optimized hybrid system, based on accurate and enhanced 10 seconds insolation data rate of photovoltaic system, is compared to conventional PV-Wind optimized systems based on hourly and daily insolation data. Federal incentives such as Investment Tax Credits, MACRS (Modified Accelerated Cost Recovery System) and Bonus Depreciation, and Renewable Energy Grants were taken into consideration to assess initial and recurring costs for owners. The Life Cycle Costing with payback time and Levelized Cost of Energy (LCOE) with Net Metering are provided as part of the economics in this paper. 2012 IEEE.

name of conference

  • 2012 38th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference

published proceedings


author list (cited authors)

  • Shadmand, M. B., & Balog, R. S.

citation count

  • 14

complete list of authors

  • Shadmand, Mohammad Bagher||Balog, Robert S

publication date

  • June 2012