Optimal Design of a U-Shaped Oscillating Water Column Device Using an Artificial Neural Network Model Academic Article uri icon

abstract

  • A U-shaped oscillating water column (U-OWC) device has been investigated to enhance power extraction by placing the bottom-mounted vertical barrier in front of a conventional OWC. Then, the optimal design of a U-OWC device has been attempted by using an artificial neural network (ANN) model. First, the analytical model is developed by a matched eigenfunction expansion method (MEEM) based on linear potential theory. Using the developed analytical model, the input and output features for training an ANN model are identified, and then the database containing input and output features is established by a Latin hypercube sampling (LHS) method. With 200 samples, an ANN model is trained with the training data (70%) and validated with the remaining test data (30%). The predictions on output features are made for 4000 random combinations of input features for given significant wave heights and energy periods in irregular waves. From these predictions, the optimal geometric values of a U-OWC are determined by considering both the conversion efficiency and wave force on the barrier. It is found that a well-trained ANN model shows good prediction accuracy and provides the optimal geometric values of a U-OWC suitable for wave conditions at the installation site.

published proceedings

  • Processes

author list (cited authors)

  • George, A., Cho, I., & Kim, M.

citation count

  • 2

complete list of authors

  • George, Arun||Cho, Il-Hyoung||Kim, Moo-Hyun

publication date

  • July 2021