Responses of Jatropha curcas to Salt and Drought Stresses Academic Article uri icon


  • Two greenhouse experiments were conducted to quantify growth responses ofJatropha curcasto a range of salt and drought stresses. Typical symptoms of salinity stress such as leaf edge yellowing were observed in all elevated salinity treatments and the degree of the foliar salt damage increased with the salinity of irrigation water. Total dry weight (DW) of Jatropha plants was reduced by 30%, 30%, and 50%, respectively, when irrigated with saline solutions at electrical conductivity of 3.0, 6.0, and 9.0dSm1compared to that in the control. LeafNa+concentration was much higher than that observed in most glycophytes. LeafClconcentrations were also high. In the drought stress experiment, plants were irrigated daily with nutrient solution at 100%, 70%, 50%, or 30% daily water use (DWU). Deficit irrigation reduced plant growth and leaf development. The DW of leaves, roots, and total were reduced in the 70%, 50%, and 30% DWU compared to the 100% DWU control treatment. In summary, salinity stress and deficit irrigation significantly reduced the growth and leaf development of greenhouse-grown Jatropha plants.

published proceedings


author list (cited authors)

  • Niu, G., Rodriguez, D., Mendoza, M., Jifon, J., & Ganjegunte, G.

citation count

  • 22

complete list of authors

  • Niu, Genhua||Rodriguez, Denise||Mendoza, Mike||Jifon, John||Ganjegunte, Girisha

publication date

  • January 2012