Gastric outflow obstruction after ingestion of wood glue in a dog. Academic Article uri icon


  • A 2-year-old, male, mixed-breed dog presented with a 12-day history of vomiting, depression, and weight loss after ingestion of industrial-strength wood glue containing diphenylmethane diisocyanate as its active ingredient. A diagnosis of gastric foreign body was made from survey abdominal radiographs. A large aggregate of solidified wood glue was surgically removed, and the dog recovered uneventfully. Fourteen other cases have been reported to the Animal Poison Control Center at the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA). Eight of those 14 cases required surgical intervention. All cases recovered completely.

published proceedings

  • J Am Anim Hosp Assoc

author list (cited authors)

  • Horstman, C. L., Eubig, P. A., Cornell, K. K., Khan, S. A., & Selcer, B. A.

citation count

  • 14

complete list of authors

  • Horstman, Christopher L||Eubig, Paul A||Cornell, Karen K||Khan, Safdar A||Selcer, Barbara A

publication date

  • January 2003