SEDIMENTATION-RATES IN THE SLOPE WATER OF THE NORTHWEST ATLANTIC OCEAN MEASURED DIRECTLY WITH SEDIMENT TRAPS Academic Article uri icon

abstract

  • Average organic C sedimentation rate was 12.8mg/m2/day, while carbonate averaged 105mg/m2/day. Organic C ranged from 3.8 to 6% of the total material caught, somewhat higher than that in bottom sediments below the traps. Size fractionation of some of the material indicated that c20% of the organic C flux was carried in lager, often pelletized particles (more than 63 micrometers), with the remaining 80% being in smaller particles. Fecal pellets were larger and more abundant near bottom in the nepheloid zone than in the primary sedimenting material above it, suggesting that the fauna on and near (500m above) bottom is consuming resuspended material and matter of recent pelagic origin before it is deposited. -from Authors

published proceedings

  • JOURNAL OF MARINE RESEARCH

complete list of authors

  • ROWE, GT||GARDNER, WD

publication date

  • January 1979