Dietary effect of fish oil and soybean lecithin on growth and survival of juvenile Litopenaeus vannamei in the presence or absence of phytoplankton in an indoor system Academic Article uri icon


  • This study was conducted to evaluate whether phospholipids have the potential to reduce the level of dietary fish oil inclusion in shrimp feeds in the presence and absence of phytoplankton. To do so, weight gain of juvenile Litopenaeus vannamei stocked at 80 shrimp m-2 fed different dietary levels of fish oil and soybean lecithin was determined. Six experimental 35% protein diets were formulated to contain 1%, 2% or 3% fish oil combined with either 1% or 4% soybean lecithin. Dietary effects were evaluated using a 'clear-water culture system' without the presence of microalgae in 40-L aquaria and a 'green-water culture system' in 1.9-MT tanks. After an 8-week feeding period, shrimp cultured in both systems and fed diets containing 4% soybean lecithin had greater weight gain than those fed 1%. Thus, diets supplemented with phospholipids improved the efficiency of lipid utilization for growth: diets containing 1% fish oil in combination with 4% soybean lecithin can be used as a cost-effective combination for commercial shrimp culture feeds. Weight gain in the green-water system was 1.5-1.7 times greater than that for shrimp reared under clear-water conditions, suggesting that phytoplankton contributes to shrimp growth through the continuous provision of nutrients. 2012 John Wiley & Sons Ltd.

published proceedings

  • Aquaculture Research

altmetric score

  • 0.25

author list (cited authors)

  • Snchez, D. R., Fox, J. M., Gatlin, D., & Lawrence, A. L.

citation count

  • 22

complete list of authors

  • S├ínchez, Dagoberto R||Fox, Joe M||Gatlin, Delbert||Lawrence, Addison L

publication date

  • July 2014