Gas-phase ion-molecule charge-exchange reactions of iron(1+) with iron pentacarbonyl: observation of higher lying metastable electronic states Academic Article uri icon

abstract

  • Charge-exchange ion-molecule reactions of Fe+ with Fe(CO)5 formed by 20-70-eV electron impact of Fe(CO)5 are reported. The charge-exchange reaction chemistry data indicate that electronic states with energies up to about 4.0 eV are produced and that 40% of the excited-state ions are in the first excited state 4F(3d7) and the remaining 60% are in the 4D(4s13d6) to 2G(4s13d6) or higher energy states. Of the Fe+ produced by 50-70-eV ionizing energy 65% are formed as excited states and about 35% as ground state 6D(4s13d6). The results from charge-exchange ion-molecule reactions are compared to the excited states determined by other methods. © 1992 American Chemical Society.

author list (cited authors)

  • Oriedo, J., & Russell, D. H.

citation count

  • 16

publication date

  • June 1992