Dietary supplementation of arginine and/or glutamine influences growth performance, immune responses and intestinal morphology of hybrid striped bass (Morone chrysops x Morone saxatilis) Academic Article uri icon


  • Various studies with fish species indicate that dietary arginine (Arg) and glutamine (Gln) supplementation may support an enhanced performance beyond simply improving weight gain. Therefore, a feeding trial was conducted to determine the effects of dietary Arg or Gln on growth performance, immune responses and intestinal morphology of juvenile hybrid striped bass, Morone chrysops. Morone saxatilis (4.1 0.02. g, initial average weight). The basal diet was formulated from menhaden fishmeal and solvent-extracted soybean meal to contain 45% crude protein and 10% lipid. Arginine and Gln were singularly added to the basal diet at either 1% or 2% or both amino acids were added in combination at 1% to formulate experimental diets with adjustments in glycine to maintain all diets iso-nitrogenous. Fish were fed the experimental diets for a period of 8. weeks, at the end of which final weight, specific growth rate and feed efficiency were significantly (P< 0.05) higher in fish fed diets supplemented with Arg at either 1 or 2%, Gln at 1%, Arg and Gln both at 1%, but not in those fed the diet supplemented with Gln at 2%.Arginine and/or Gln supplementation tended to improve neutrophil oxidative radical production, but not significantly (P> 0.05). However, significantly higher serum lysozyme activity was observed in fish fed the diet supplemented with Arg at either 1 or 2% and Gln at 1%. Intracellular superoxide anion production by hybrid striped bass macrophages also tended to increase, while extracellular superoxide anion production was significantly improved by supplementation of Arg at 1% and Gln at either 1 or 2% of diet.Morphometric analyses demonstrated positive effects of both dietary Arg and Gln on histo-morphological measurements in different portions of the gastrointestinal tract of hybrid striped bass. The 1% Arg diet resulted in the greatest increases in size of the chosen enteric structures, but the other four experimental diets also significantly improved the scores for various intestinal portions compared to fish fed the basal diet.Results from the present experiment demonstrate the importance of dietary supplementation of both Arg and Gln in improving growth performance, eliciting positive changes to several components of the innate immune system, and also benefiting the intestinal functionality of hybrid striped bass. 2012 Elsevier B.V.

published proceedings


altmetric score

  • 3

author list (cited authors)

  • Cheng, Z., Gatlin, D., & Buentello, A.

citation count

  • 83

complete list of authors

  • Cheng, Zhenyan||Gatlin, Delbert MIII||Buentello, Alejandro

publication date

  • September 2012