Production performance and non-specific immunity of cage-raised red drum, Sciaenops ocellatus, fed soybean-based diets Academic Article uri icon


  • 2015 Elsevier B.V. A 15-week feeding trial was conducted to evaluate the replacement of fishmeal (FM) with soybean products (SP) in the diet of advanced juvenile red drum, Sciaenops ocellatus. Two dehulled, hexane-extracted SP were evaluated: commodity soybean meal [SBM; 48% crude protein (CP)] and Navita 3010 [N-3010; produced from non-genetically modified, selectively bred varieties; 54% CP]. The additive effect of a prebiotic (GroBiotic-A; GBA) on the overall performance of red drum also was evaluated. All diets were formulated to contain 35% digestible protein (DP), 15% lipid, and an estimated 3.5kcal DE kg-1. The reference diet was formulated to contain 44.6% Special Select menhaden FM and 15.0% corn protein concentrate (CPC). Three test diets (SBM, SBM+GBA, and N-3010) were formulated to contain 6.0% FM and 15.0% CPC, together providing approximately 38% of the dietary DP. The remaining 62% DP was provided by 5.7-5.8% soy protein concentrate (SPC) and the specific SP treatment. Diets were fed to apparent satiation to advanced juvenile red drum (meanSD=685.1g initial weight) in each of four replicate 1-m3 floating-cages. After 15weeks of feeding, no significant differences were found among treatments for all growth performance and non-specific-immunity parameters evaluated. Based on these results, SBM or N-3010 in combination with SPC can replace approximately 86% of the DP provided by FM in the diet without negatively affecting production performance and health status of advanced juvenile red drum.

published proceedings


author list (cited authors)

  • Rossi, W. J., Tomasso, J. R., & Gatlin, D.

citation count

  • 15

complete list of authors

  • Rossi, Waldemar Jr||Tomasso, Joseph R||Gatlin, Delbert MIII

publication date

  • June 2015